Skip to main content
News

History of the bell tower

bell tower

The distinctive bell tower on the campus of Furman University has a history that goes back to 1854, when the original tower stood watch over the downtown campus of the then all-male university. Among other events, the bells sounded at the start of classes, which were suspended during the Civil War, and were rung to signal a Furman football victory at Sirrine Stadium. The replica tower that now sits on a peninsula in Furman Lake was built and dedicated in 1965 through a gift from the Alester G. Furman family. Greenville360 has more about Furman’s signature landmark.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Last updated .

Graphic image of novel coronavirus 19

Coronavirus updates

News about how the coronavirus is impacting Furman's study away programs is being updated regularly.

Greg Springsteen and Trent Stubbs stand in a chemistry department office

Furman lands first SCRA grant ever awarded to a private institution

Professor of Chemistry Greg Springsteen and Trent Stubbs '20 secure $25,000 for the commercialization of Aconabolics LLC.

screenshot of nine people on a video call. Jobs and COVID-19

Extending the job search

The Malone Center for Career Engagement pivots during the pandemic to help students long distance.

Aerial view of students walking along a large spiral in the grass.

Remote reflection

The Cothran Center is staying connected and encouraging reflection during the pandemic.